Mangos are a tropical to sub tropical fruit tree with two main types. They are found naturally from The Philippines through to India. In the USA Mangos are grown mainly in California and Florida. From India the fruits are usually a reddish green while those from the Philippines are pale green to yellow.
However it is the hybridised cultivars that are the most productive. Varieties such as 'Alphonse' have been popular for many years.
Although mango trees can be grown from trees the grafted varieties are regarded as having superior fruit, both for eating and juice extraction.
In California they have been grown for over 100 years, as long as they can get full sun and a frost free position they will grow.
These will vary from grower to grower. Some of the best varieties are those from Australia where extensive hybridisation has been carried out.
- Hadden - Very common variety with medium to large sized fruit. Almost fibre free fruit is sweet and juicy. Greed fruit blushed with pink to red.
- Timoyayo - Fairly new variety with green to yellow fruit. Fruit has fibres, sweet and with a milder flavour than many. Elongated fruit.
- Kent - Smaller growing type with sweet fruit. Dark green fruit with a red to pink blush. Has some fibres, however not many, main attributes are medium to large oval shaped fruit, sweet and juicy flesh.
- Glenn - Indian type with yellow to orange fruit - Oval to oblong shaped fruit with rich, sweet, flavourful, fiberless flesh and with a pleasant aroma. Thin skin with a slight orange blush. Fruit turns bright yellow when ripe.
- Okrung tong mango is an interesting variety, widely grown in the Philippines, you either love it or hate it. Its super sweet, juicy however a resinous after taste. For some the after taste is terrible, other people like it.
However as with all mangoes, the taste will depend on growing conditions, soil, sun, moisture and fertiliser used.
- Nam Doc Mai is from Thailand and is widely grown in Florida. Sweet and juicy.
Mostly grafted for best fruiting ability.
Mango trees are available for sale from the following specialist nurseries.
STARK Bro's NURSERIES & ORCHARDS Co.
PO Box 1800 Louisiana MO 63353 - phone: 1-800-325-4180
Originators of Red and Golden Delicious apples. Full line of fruit, Apricots, Berries, Cherries, Nectarines, Pears, Grapes, Nuts, shade and flowering trees, shrubs roses and small fruits.Includes: Walnuts, Carpathian English Walnut, Lake English Walnut, Black Walnut and others