Easy Pomegranate trees are perhaps best describes as shruby and hardy.
They require little water once established and will need to be pruned if you wish them grow into a small tree rather than a shrub.
Grown for pomegranate fruit and juice as well as for ornamental purposes, Pomegranate Trees are generally hardy and once established are reasonably drought tolerant.
They will grow in coler climates, howver for best fruit they prefer areas with warmer summers, which is why major plantings are in California.
The fruit the pomegranate can be eaten fresh or juiced, but look for the sweeter species such as Gulosha Rosavaya, Wonderful and Gulosha Azerbaijani.
Pomegranate juice (grenadine) is high in antioxidants.
The sweeter varieties are generally the best and these include :
- Gulosha Rosavaya. - Large attractive fruit, good acidity and sweetness.
- Wonderful. - Large fruit, sweet an tnay and exce;lent in hot dry climates.
- Gulosha Azerbaijani. - Large fruit, light pink to red sweet and slightly acidic.
- Sharp Velvet - Large fruit, deep red flesh.
- Eversweet - Although this variety has very few seeds, so you miis out on those tiny red jewels.
Mostly grafted for best fruiting ability.
Pomegranate trees are available for sale from the following specialist nurseries.
FOUR WINDS GROWERS
phone: 877-449-4637 ext. 1