On this page: General info |
What to do in the Garden :: Fall Tasks
Fall is traditionally a time to prune, clean up the garden and compost those leaves, here are a few other ideas for the fall garden.
- Transplant shrubs and trees that need relocation. This is best done while the soil is still warm, but the heat of summer is over.
- Plant new trees and shrubs. Trees and shrubs planted while the soil is still warm the roots will get a chance to established themselves before the chills of winter.
- Clean up the leaves as they begin to drop, use them for compost or mulch.
- Divide perennials, replant them in a well prepared garden bed.
- Plant spring flowering bulbs such as Crocus, Tulips and Daffodils.
- Prune roses.
- Remove spent plants from the vegetable garden. Turn the soil and dig in some fertilizer, plant a green winter crop that you can dig in a little later.
- Clean up any fallen fruit to prevent diseases and pests.
- Consider a installing a cold frame, you can extend the growing season of lettuce and salad vegetables.
Plant Hardiness Zones around the worldPlant Hardines and Gardening Zones for Australia