Wholesale Spirea Nurseries
A group of deciduous low growing or mound forming shrubs, Spirea are offered by wholesale growers in a number of varieties. Spirea 'Snowmound' with its masses of white flowers in spring is one of the better known varieties, however wholesale growers have a lot more to offer landscapers and retail outlets.
Flower colours vary from white to pink and red. Foliage is green to gold depending on cultivar and some with good colour in fall.
Height will also vary from very low growing compact types such as ‘Elf’ which will reach around 8” in height, to taller mounding types reaching around 48”.
Grown mainly for the flower that form from spring to summer, Spirea make an excellent rock garden or general border plant. You can also use them as a hedging plant. The variation in both height and colour gives Spirea a versatility that landscapers appreciate. Useful in the rock garden, as a low growing border plant or as a deciduous hedge or background plant.
Whatever the use, with masses of flowers in spring to summer they make an attractive addition to many landscaping applications.
Spirea General Care
- Spirea grow well in USDA Zones 4 - 8.
- Best in full sun
- Fertilize in spring and again in early summer
- Prune after flowering to promote a second flush of flowers
- Mulch well and keep soil moist but well drained.
Popular Spirea Varieties
- Spirea cantoniensis - The double flowering Mau Bush.
- Spiraea x bumalda crispa is one of the best red flowering varieties as the foliage if better than most. Reaches around 2ft in height.
Spiraea x bumalda 'Anthony Waterer' similar to the above.
- Spiraea x 'Zelda' Brilliant Pink flowers with foliage that emerges red and fades to a lime green to yellow. reaching around 3ft in height.
Spiraea japonica 'Lemon Princess' Pink flowers lime green to yellow foliage
- Spiraea japonica 'Shirobana' has deep green foliage with flowers that are rosy red, mid pink and white all on the same plant. Foliage yellow to copper in fall, good green foliage through the season.
- Spirea japonica ‘Magic Carpet’ is low growing to around 24 “, golden yellow foliage with new growth that is a striking red/ Pink flowers. Coppery red to brown tones in the fall.
Other Spirea names
- Spiraea japonica
- Spiraea albiflora
- Spiraea trilobata
- Spiraea nipponica
- Spiraea x vanhouttei
DAYTON NURSERIES, Inc.
3459 Cleveland-Massillon Rd. Norton, OH 44203
phone : 330-825-3320
93 East Main St Hopkinton MA
phone : 508 435-3414
4534 Center Rd Avon OH
phone : 440 934-4435