Abutilon - The Flowering Maple
Widely called Flowering Maples, Abutilon x hybridum are also known as 'Chinese Lanterns ' and these long flowering plants are for sale in a range of flower colors and forms.
With over 40 species including Abutilon Bella, Abutilon megapotamicum and many other hybrids. We also have the not so garden worthy A. theophrasti which is a little weedy.
The long flowering Abutilon prefer a mild climate, and protection from heavy frosts. A well drained soil in sun or semi shade is best.
With lantern or bell shaped hanging flowers ranging from yellows, orange and tangerine through to pink, red and white Abutilon are an easy plant to care for, mulch well and cut back hard to promote new growth. You can also find forms with variegated foliage such as 'Cannington Carol' pictured above.
- Abutilon 'Double Pink' has double pink carnation like flowers summer to autumn.
- The wonderful Abutilon 'Red Tiger' with its deep red and yellow veined flowers is eye catching.
- Dwarf Abutilon including the variegated, Abutilon 'Cannington Carol' are suitable for growing in pot.
- Abutilon x hybridum 'Roseus' is the pink 'flowering maple',
- Abutilon x hybridum 'Luteus' is the yellow flowering cultivar and 'albus' the white one.
- The Double Pink Flowering Maple - Abutilon Victorian Lady is pictured right
As most Abutilon used in gardens are hybrids the best way to propagate them is from cuttings.
Simply take semi hard wood cuttings in early summer and strike them in a mixture of potting soil and sharp sand.
You can use a hormone powder to help with the strike rate.
Plants can be covered with a clear plastic bag supported on wire to create a humid atmosphere.
Keep cuttings in a warm shaded position, and make sure they remain moist.
Once new growth commences, remove the plastic bag and harden them off over winter. They should be ready to plant out in spring the following year.
Where to buy
PLANT FDELIGHTS - phone 919 772 4794
Raleigh NC 27603
Good selection of Abutilons for sale.