Grown as annuals in the garden, as indoor plants and as perennials in warmer zones Begonia plants come from a large family with over 1000 species. You can grow them in flower beds, pots hanging baskets, indoors and outdoors, versatile Begonias are a group of plants well worth exploring.
Begonias flowers (plants) available for sale come in three main forms, they are grown both for the foliage and the flowers depending on the variety.
The main begonia types are :
- Tuberose types are perhaps the most popular begonia flowers in the USA.
- Cane Begonias with patterned or marbled foliage and flowers that range from red through to white.
- Rhizomatous Begonias and Rex or Bedding (semperflorens) Begonias.
However we also have begonias commonly called different names, including :
- Dragon wing begonias - These are a cane type
- Shrub begonias - Again a Cane type such as 'Little Brother Montgomery' pictured right. Wonderful star shaped leaf, deep green with silver, Pink flowers, excellent indoor plant in a a well lit position.
- Wax begonias - These are the semperflorens types
- Trailing begonias - Also called trailling scandent types such as B.convolvulacea, however trailing tuberous types, Begonia x hybrida are also available.
You may also be interested in
Begonia propagation will differ from type to type. Generally cuttings is a great way and works well for most, but not all, varieties.
- Look for healthy new growth that has hardened a little, we are looking at tip cuttings for this proccess.
- Cut the stem at an angle and remove the lower foliage
- Snip the upper leaves in half
- Using a free draining propagation mix make small holes with a dibbler.
- Dip the stems in a rooting hormone
- Place the stems in the holes and firm around
- Keep moist and humid untol new growth begins.
Begonia plants are available fro sale from the following nurseriesGARDINO NURSERY
Tropical plant nursery specialising in a wide variety of rare and unusual plants. Shipping available to retail and wholesale customers nationwide. Our web site also contains information on a variety of tropical plants