A large group of woodland plants, Corydalis are grown for the attractive foliage as well as the colorful flowers. Some species, such as Corydalis yanhusuo commonly called the 'Chinese poppy plant', are used for medicinal purposes.
However it is the many garden worthy varieties that are offered for sale online. And they are admired for the ability to flower infairly deep shade.
With ferny foliage usually an attractive mid green, however some species with a more blue green, you could grow Corydalis for the foliage alone.
The blue flowering species such as Corydalis flexuosa, pictured right make a wonderful addition to any garden.
In addition to the foliage Corydalis species also have wonderful flowers, ranging from white, to pink, yellow and the sought after blue flowering varieties. Spurred flowers are most attractive in spring, with occasional repeat flowering during summer, especially after rain an a cool period.
- Corydalis lutea is the yellow flowering corydalis native to the European Alpine foothills.
- Corydalis solida is a pink flowering species however varieties can produce either purple, red, or white flowers.
- Corydalis anthriscifolia good blue green foliage and pink flowers, although this species does go dormant earlier than some others.
The blue flowering species
Include both Corydalis elata and Corydalis flexuosa.
- C. flexuosa is an attractive woodland plant with dense racemes of bright blue flowers.
- Corydalis yanhusuo rhizoma is used in chinese medicine.
- Corydalis ambigua is a blue flowering perennial herb native to China and Japan. In China the common name is Yan Hu Suo.
- Corydalis sempervirens is sometimes called the 'Rock Harlequin' and has yellow and pink flowers.
Where to buy
Varieties are available for sale from the following nurseries
DIGGING DOG NURSERY - phone (707) 937-1130
PO Box 471 Albion CA 95410