Crocus vernus - Dutch Crocus
Crocus vernus is a hardy bulb or corm also known as the Spring Crocus and Giant Crocus (also Dutch Crocus). A number of varieties arev available for sale, all with similar growing requirements.
The first two names give us a good idea about its habit. Flowering in spring and with a large flowers. The 'Dutch' part is a little more obscure as this relates to where it was hybridised rather than where it originally came from.
Originally from alpine areas from France and Italy through to Austria and Serbia Crocus vernus is at home in a cold winter (covered in snow) and a dry summer. In warmer areas protection from hot sun in summer is desirable.
VarietiesAlthough you can buy bulk Crocus vernus in mixed colors, some of the cultivars look particularly good when planted en mass.
- Crocus vernus 'Pickwick' with its characteristic white and violet striped flowers is a really popular cultivar. (pictured right)
- Crocus vernus 'Vanguard' has been around since 1935, the inner petals are a mid purple, while the outer ones are very pale gray -purple.
- Crocus vernus 'Grand Maitre' is another purple flowering cultivar.
- Crocus vernus 'Flower Record' is a dark flowering variety.
- Crocus vernus 'Twilight' is the deepest purple of all
- Crocus vernus 'Remembrance' with its brilliant purple flowers is also outstanding. The white flowering Crocus vernus 'Jeanne d'Arc' is an outstanding white flower.
- Crocus vernus ssp. albiflorus is probably the species where the striped cultivars originate.
- Crocus vernus ssp. vernus is the purple flowering one.
Crocus vernus is easy to propagate by division of established clumps when dormant.
You can also propagate from seed.
Where to BuyCrocus vernus bulbs are available for sale online from fall to winter. Bulbs are not expensive except for the rare cultivars. Expect to pay $6 for 10 bulbs plus postage for the common varieties.