Dymondia margaretae is an excellent ground cover plant originally from South Africa. A member of the daisy family with attractive foliage and yellow daisy like flowers, this is perhaps the toughest of the genus.
A slow spreading low growing ground cover that is often called 'silver carpet', or 'carpet gazania', this is a plant that can handle foot traffic. It really is a 'ground hugging' plant reaching only a few inches high.
The foliage is a green blue / grey on top with silver undersides, the flowers appear from spring to summer, a bright sunny yellow.
As a landscaping plant use Dymondia margaretae as a low care ground cover, or between paving stones. It also grows well in a pot. Excellent in part shade beneath taller plants.
- Family - Asteracae
- Genus - Dymondia
- Common Names - Silver Carpet, Carpet Gazania
- Origin- South Africa
- Culture - Easy care in a sunny position - well drained soil
- Height - 2 inches
- Width - 36 inches spreading by runners.
- Landscaping Uses - Ground cover plant for dry conditions. Tough and hard wearing
- Maintenance - Prune back to control runners
- Pests and Diseases - Very Few.