Grown for the brilliant flowers Epiphyllum are group of a epiphytic cacti species, commonly called Epicactus or simpy 'Epis'. Most famous for the 'Queen of the Night' or 'Night Blooming Cerus' (Epiphyllum oxypetalum, although many varieties are well worth growing.
Most Epipyhllums offered for sale are hybrids, grown for larger and more colorful flowers
So if you have a patio with good strong filtered light, and would like some of the most brillant flowers you can imagine then Epiphyllum may well be the plant for you.
Plants are offerd for sale online as cuttings, a good sized cutting will be 8 - 10 inches long. You can also buy rooted cuttings which is a great way to start a collection.
However this is actually the species from which other cacti are crossed with to produce what we commonly refer to as Epicactus. Originally found in the tropical to sub tropical forest areas of Central and South America.
Easy to grow, tough and produce amazing flowers. Many growers choose hanging baskets to display these plants.
VarietiesIt is the colorful hybrids that are widely offered, the color range is from white through pinks and Orange to Red and Purple.
A few species are highly sought after including
- Epiphyllum oxypetalum. Queen of the Night or Dutchmans Pipe.
- Epiphyllum anguliger gigantea. Also known as the fishbone cactus.
- Epiphyllum caudatum. A rarely offered white flowering species.
- Epiphyllum pumilum. White flowering with smaller flowers than E. oxypetalum.
- Epiphyllum crenatum. A white flowering species widely used in hybridisation.
Propagation From Cuttings
Growing Epiphyllum from cuttings is simple, once you have a good specimen you can easily propagate it.
- Cuttings are best taken during the warmer months and allowed to harden or 'callous' for a few weeks in a cool dry shaded position.
- Once they have hardened up Epiphyllum are ready to plant up into pots or containers.
- Use small pots at first and pot up as the plant grows, this will help with flower formation.
Plants and cutting are available for sale from the following specialist growers.
MATTSLANDSCAPE.COM - email Matt@Mattslandscape.com
32005 Avenida Evita San Juan Capistrano, Ca., U.S.A. 92675
Mail order worldwide nursery offering 1000s of Epiphyllum, Dragon fruit, Echinopsis, Schlumbergera, Cacti Epiphytes and various cacti of all kinds.