With trademark large flowers and long lance shaped leaves Epimedium grandiflorum is a deciduous to semi deciduous species depending on the zone, and the coldness of the winter. The flowers are spurred and appear from late spring to early summer.
Widely cultivated a number of different varieties are available. some reaching 15 inches tall other lower growing. It is a species that will die back after frosts, to happily reappear in spring as things warm up.
- Epimedium grandiflorum 'lilafee'
The lilac fairy barrenwort is aptly named, wonderful lilac flowers in spring.
- Epimedium grandiflorum 'white queen'Attrractive clear white flowers as the name would suggest.
- Epimedium grandiflorum 'nanum'
A lower growing variety with white flowers and heart shaped leaves
- Epimedium grandiflorum 'yubae'
Early flowering and low growing to around 1 ft (syn Rose Queen)
- Epimedium grandiflorum 'red beauty'
Attractive pink to red flowers
- Epimedium sagittatum.
- Epimedium grandiflorum 'White Queen'.
- Epimedium x versicolor 'Sulphureum' .
- Epimedium diphyllum
- Epimedium franchetti
- Epimedium koreanum
- Epimedium x perralchicum 'Frohnleiten'
- Epimedium rhizomatosum
- Epimedium x rubrum (red barrenwort)
- Epimedium x warleyense
- Epimedium youngianum 'Niveum'
- Epimedium x versicolor 'Cherry Tart'
- Epimedium wushanense
Where to buy
GARDEN VISION EPIMEDIUMS - phone 978-249-3863
P.O. Box 50 Templeton, MA 01468-0050
email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Best selection of Epimedium species/varieties in the U.S. along with a selection of other choice, hard to find shade perennials.
DIGGING DOG NURSERY
PO Box 471 Albion CA 95410 - phone (707) 937-1130
A spectacular selection of hard to find perennials, ornamental grasses, shrubs, trees and vines for your garden. Includes: epimedium frohnleiten, epimedium perralderianum, epimedium grandiflorum.