Gentiana scabra is an autumn flowering species native to both Japan and China. Wonderful blue or pink flowers depending on the cultivar late in the season make this evergreen to semi evergreen work a place in the garden.
Gentiana scabra 'Zuki-rindo' is one of the pink flowering varieties. You will also see Gentiana scabra var buergeri offered for sale, sometimes called 'bung'.
More upright than other species reaching around 35 - 45cm, tubular flowers in clusters lance shaped leaves and low care.
VarietiesGentiana Varieties Include
- Gentaina scabra
- G. acaulis (Stemless Gentian)
- G. asclepiadea (Willow Gentian)
- G. andrewsii (Closed Bottle Gentian)
- G. boissieri
- G. brachyphylla
- G. clausa (Bottle Gentian)
- G. cruciata (Star Gentian)
- G. dahurica
- G. douglasiana (Swamp Gentian)
- G. lutea (Great Yellow Gentian)
- G. scabra (Japanese Gentian)
- Ga septemfida (Crested Gentian)
- G. verna (Spring Gentian)
- G. villosa (Striped Gentian)