Rock Rose or Sun Rose - Helianthemum nummularium
Rock Rose or Sun Rose
Helianthemum nummularium 'rock rose' or 'sun rose' are closely related to Cistus (also referred to as Rock Rose) and are widely used as a groundcover plant especially in hot drier conditions. Hardiness Zone (5 - 8) depending on local conditions and aspect. Although fairly frost tolerant Helianthemum nummularium 'rock rose' or 'sun rose' may require mulching with heavy frost, main care is to allow for free drainage.
Many varieties and cultivars of Helianthemum nummularium to choose from including the species Helianthemum nummularium (Common Rock Rose) a yellow flowering plant.
Cultivars include plants such as the popular
- Helianthemum 'Hartswood Ruby' which has brilliant red flowers with a nice yellow centre.
- The double pink flowering Helianthemum 'Annabel'.
- The pretty pale pink flowering Helianthemum nummularium 'Wisley Primrose'.
- Helianthemum nummularium 'Dazzler'.
- Look for the orange flowering Helianthemum nummularium 'Ben More'.