Kniphofia the Red Hot Pokers
If you need a little height and vivid color in the border then Kniphofia might be the solution. Commonly called the 'red hot poker' although flower colors do vary and include shades of lemon and orange as well. However all have the trademark, poker shaped flower on a tall stem.
These plants are easy to grow, in fact it knowing how to pronounce the name that is hard, we go for ny-FOE-fee-ah, however a few variations exist on that.
The colours available in kniphofia are increasing with the development of new hybrids, these include green, pink, cream and apricot. Traditional colors include red, orange and yellow.
The interesting development is in the varieties with a gradient of color, it changes from top to bottom in the flower.
You can grow the taller varieties at the back of the border, the smaller ones are best towards the front, they are also better in containers than the taller ones.
- Kniphofia uvaria 'Red Hot Poker' or 'Flame Lily.
- Kniphofia caulescens.
- Kniphofia uvaria 'flamenco' a particurly nice orange / red flowering plant.
- Kn iphofia northiae is an unusual species, much broader foliage than other species.
- Kniphofia hirsuta 'firedance' is a more compact plant.
- Kniphofia thomsonii subsp. thomsonii
Kniphofia Plants are available for sale from the following nurseries
DIGGING DOG NURSERY - phone (707) 937-1130
PO Box 471 Albion CA 95410
SEQUIM RARE PLANTS
500 N. Sequim Ave. Sequim, WA 98382