Magnolia Kay Parris
Magnolia 'Kay Parris' is a relatively new release evergreen magnolia which is believed to be a cross between the popular 'little gem' an Magnolia 'Brackens Brown Beauty'. Kay Parris is now readily available for sale in most states.
Holding it's foliage a little tighter than some other evergreen magnolias and with a more upright habit Magnolia Grandiflora 'Kay Parris' makes an excellent landscaping tree or a specimen tree.
Attractive perfumed flowers, strong growing and tolerant of cold conditions. Foliage has a strong felted underside which makes the plant very attractive throughout the year. (foliage is also valued by florists)
'Magnolia Kay Parris prefers similar conditions to its relatives, try a moist but well drained soil and a sunny position. Growth will be quicker in warmer climates.
Water well for the first two years and provide a cool root run by mulching well. After settling in water is usually only required during summer or dry periods.
- Growth rate is average around 6' in 4-5 years and eventually reaching 15' with a spread of 10' depending on conditions.
- Can also be grown in a large pot or container if pruned to maintain a smaller size.
- Grows well in Zones 7-9.
- Overwatering or poor drainage are the main problems.
- Over fertilising can also be a problem.
- Generally these plants require little care once established exce pt pruning to size if required.
Prune Magnolia Kay Parris in early spring to keep in shape or to a smaller size if required. Like most plants spent flowers can be removed to improve appearance and encourage a second flush of flowers.
With its dense foliage Magnolia Kay Parris can be used as a screen or hedging plant also suitable as a specimen tree. Growth rate is average around 6' in 4-5 years and eventually reaching 15' - 20' depending on conditions. Also works well in a large pot or container.