By definition Ornamental Trees are those that primarly fill a decorative purpose in the garden. It could be great flowers, foliage, bark, autumn color or a combination.
They shine at diffent times of the year, and this is the secret in selecting which variety to plant, and where to plant it.
Generally small to medium sized plants, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs are popular additions to the garden. Some of the top growers have listed their best, and these include both deciduous and evergreen varieties.
Of course the best suited ornamental will depend on the USDA Zone as well as the size of the space in the garden, the aspect and the application. Some ornamentals serve a dual purpose, perhaps as a hedge or screen as well.
The answer to the question of what makes the best ornamental tree for the garden depends on aesthetics as well as application as tree can be grown for a number of attractive features.
Best Ornamental Trees
Some of the best Ornamental trees for the Garden
- Deciduous magnolias for flowers
- Dogwoods also for flowers
- Japanese Maples, for foliage and for fall color.
- Camellias for flowers
- Ginkgo Trees for foliage and form
- Arbutus for wonderful bark
- Betula utilis var. jacquemontii, wonderful white bark
- Conifers of various types for foliage and cones
- Cercis canadensis, for the spectacular rosy pink flowers
- Crape Myrtle for flowers