Wonderful flowering vines Wisteria are readily available for sale online. They are one of the best spring flowering climbing plants and include a number of varieties.
- American wisteria (Wisteria frutescens)
- Japanese wisteria ( Wisteria floribunda )
- Chinese wisteria ( Wisteria sinensis)
Along with with cultivars such as Wisteria 'Amethyst Falls'
All are available from mail order nurseries and online suppliers.
The best type will depend on the choice of flower color, fragrance and flower form.Just remember that different species and cultivars have different characteristics.
Wisteria vines and plants are great for arbors and other structures.
Two of the most popular wisteria species in cultivation are Chinese wisteria (Wisteria sinensis) and Japanese wisteria (Wisteria floribunda) both have flowers ranging from White through to Purple, these two are scented.
If you are looking for a smaller growing species then American wisteria (Wisteria frutescens) with its purple flowers but no real fragrance is an excellent choice, or Kentucky wisteria (Wisteria macrostachya) with it's trademark lilac fragrance could be the answer.
Growing Wisteria as a Tree or standard
Although mainly grown as a climbing vine these wonderful plants can also be purchased as a tree, or standard.
In fact any wisteria can trained as a tree, or standard and it is a fairly simple process. Select a young plant with upright growth and then plant with a strong supporting stake.
- Train up the stake until you reach the desired height, although we would be tempted to stop at no more than 6 ft (2m) as any higher tends to make them a little unstable.
- Once you have reached to desired height pinch out the leader to promote branching.
- You need to remove any suckers or lower growth on a regular basis.
- The top growth need to be pruned each year to prevent the tree from becoming to top heavy.
- So what we are actually doing is taking a plant that would naturally grow as a vine and 'standardising' it to grow as a small tree.
Where to buy
Wisteria Plants are available for sale from the following nurseries
PO Box 483 Unionville, PA 19375 610-444-8083
Huge variety of clematis, passion flowers, climbing roses, jasmines and many other climbers.
DIGGING DOG NURSERY
PO Box 471 Albion CA 95410 - phone (707) 937-1130
A spectacular selection of hard to find perennials, ornamental grasses, shrubs, trees and vines for your garden. Includes: Wisteria floribunda.