Bold foliage, colorful flowers and lots of varieties for sale, Canna Lily bulbs are a must for most gardens. In warmer zones they will overwinter in the ground, in colder areas they will require a little more care.
So if you think that easy care flowering plants with great foliage are hard to come by, Canna Lilies are one that is easy to grow and provides both foliage and flowers.
They are a tender perennial, even in temperate climates they can fade away almost completely during winter, however they do bounce back well in spring.
With flowers varying from white to yellow through to,orange and purple, and foliage from green to vibrant deep red, including some with variegated foliage, Cannas can make a real splash of colour in the perennial border.
VarietiesWith around 500 varieties avalaible it is really the species and the well known cultivars that are sought after.
- Canna warscewiczii with its red flowers, dark stem and clean mid green foliage is one to look for.
- Canna altensteinii has deeper green fooliage and orange flowers.
- Canna indica 'Purpurea' has wonderful purple foliage and has been used widely in hybridisation
- Canna glauca is a water loving variety.
- Canna flacida has pale yellow flower, very thin and papery.
The hybrids are the most sought after and litterally hundreds of them are available for sale.
PropagationPropagation is easy by division of established clumps in early spring.
Where to buy
Canna Lilies are available from the following nurseries
Possibly the best selection of Cannas and Brugmansia in the USA. Includes Cannas from hybridizers accross the wo rld including Bernard Yorke in Australia. Also a fantastic selection of Brugmansias including a selection from Monika Gottschalk.