Iris reticulata 'Katharine Hodgkin'
With fascinating patterns and colors on the petals, Iris reticulata 'Katharine Hodgkin' is one those 'must have' winter flowing plants.
This is one of the dwarf iris bred by the well known plantsmen EB Anderson. The petals have the patterns of a fine piece of silk, indigo blue, yellow to green with hints of purple.
The form looks a little like a ballerina from the side. One parent is Iris winogradowii, yellow flowering with green spots. The other is Iris histriodes which is blue to purple flowering with darker blue and also white markings.
Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin' seems to have chosen the best attributes from each parent.
This is a dwarf iris, reaching around 4 - 5 inches in height, (10 - 14 cm), so plant it where it can be seen.
Strictly by division of established clumps as Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin' is a hybrid. Best divided in late summer and replanted by fall. This gives time for bulbs to put on some root development.
Common and other Names
Iris reticulata 'Katharine Hodgkin' (syn. Iris histriodes 'Katharine Hodgkin') Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin'
- Height : 4 - 5 inches
- Growth : Moderate once established
- Flower color : Variety from yellow, blue, white with some multi - colors as well.
- Foliage : Usually green sword shaped
- Flowering period : Spring.
- Seasonal interest : Spring.
- Landscaping uses : Garden borders, containers and general uses
- Soil Requirements : Well drained, netral to slightly acidic ph
- Position : Full sun to light afternoon shade
Where to buy
Iris reticulata are available for sale from the following growers -
WHITE FLOWER FARM phone 1-800-503-9624
STOUT GARDENS - 405-642-4190
432 NE 70th St
Oaklahoma City, OK 73105
SCHRIENER'S IRIS GARDENS phone 800-525-2367
3625 Quanaby Road N.E
Salem OR, 97303 USA
PINE KNOT FARMS phone 434-252-0768
Rockchurch Road, Clarksville
Virginia 23927 USA